I’m fanatical about productivity.
I hate wasting time and time-wasting activities.
I’m pretty ruthless when it comes to not wasting time on activities that are meant to make us look busy versus actually producing (I like to “leave” work on time…and no, that is not a sign of laziness but efficency).
Here’s just some of things I do to improve efficiency:
– Limit meetings (duration)
– Have a clear objective/topic for meetings
– Absolutely zero unscheduled calls and meetings
– Scheduled office hours for staff to ask questions (and they must present multiple solutions to the problem)
– Closed door policy except for office hours (as above) – just another reason why I always believed open floor plan offices (i.e. co-working spaces) were not good for businesses
But, now that many of us are working from home, you might actually see a spike in productivity.
[Read HBR’s article on “The Two Things Killing Your Ability to Focus“]