In a recent article, a senior finance professional talks about how financial professionals are like products and that it’s important to build up yourself as a “personal brand”.
Some of the tips the author offers in building your personal brand include:
- Being aware of how you present yourself (ie. your attire, grooming, etc)
- Your work ethic – do you come into the office early / work extra hours?
- Showing initiative and enthusiasm for your work
One item that’s missing is that building your personal brand also includes developing your skills and knowledge. Those professionals who are successful are consistently and regularly updating themselves either through:
- Reading industry articles and current affairs
- Developing new skills that help you do better in your job
- Honing existing skills
How are you building your personal brand?