How to Manage Your Commodities Risks
Commodities Risk Management, Hedging & Trading Training Course
New Online Course is Available Now!
All new and updated online course version is available now.
Key issues covered:
- Impacts of COVID-19
- How to identify failure points in your supply chain
- Avoid costly "knee jerk" reactions
- Shock-proof your supply chain
- Much more
Angela from. Carlsbad, CA, USA
This commodities trading training course focuses on the major commodities within the Agricultural, Base Metal and energy sectors. Emphasis is placed on the supply and demand for the products, the price drivers and producer hedges including the use of Derivatives.
Are You Afraid of Heavy Losses Due to Commodity Price Volatility? You Should Be…
…Commodity price volatility and longer term uncertainty regarding the evolution of value chains presents a significant source of risk to your company if you have secular exposures to commodities markets.
Maybe you have a natural long or short position in the commodities you sell or where commodities are key inputs to manufacturing and production processes and consequently a high level of risk exposure to price fluctuation.
Notwithstanding these risks, market players with a deep understanding of commodities trading markets can benefit from the opportunities presented in both physical and derivatives markets from both a pricing and risk management perspective.
This training gives you a sound understanding of the dynamics of physical and derivative markets, from the inter-related perspectives of real economy dynamics – from “top down” analysis of macro factors such as economic and geopolitical developments through to “bottom up” sectoral trends and related issues such as freight and trade finance – and trading, where opportunities may exist to reduce both cost and / or risk through insightful and holistic commodity market analysis.
You also walk away with a comprehensive understanding of the major global commodities markets, including energy, metals, agricultural and industrial commodities and also, through specific case studies, a deep understanding of the markets most relevant to your own businesses.
The training covers the trading of commodities “over-the-counter” in spot, forward and swap markets as well as exchange traded contracts in futures and options and highlights the pros and cons of each trading type.
Strategies adopted by the principal players in specific markets are also reviewed as well as the key role played by investment banks and hedge funds in derivative and arbitrage strategies.
By the End of This Course:
- You’ll have a deep understanding of the machinations of physical and derivative commodities markets
- You understand the impact of macro factors on specific markets including the key players and marketplaces in each type of commodity and their roles in determining short, medium and longer term supply and demand conditions
- You’ll have practical knowledge and skills to take advantage of opportunities in the market, as well as developing effective longer term strategies for stabilising your firms’ earnings and reducing risk.
Santander, London, UK
Commodities Trading & Markets Course Agenda / Syllabus Highlights
- Key commodity market factors
- Fundamentals I: What drives commodity markets in the long run?
- Value chain dynamics
- Demand analysis: Case study
- Principal trading markets
- Shorter term commodity analysis and trading strategies
- Medium Term dynamics
- Spot & Forward market dynamics
- Short term dynamics
- Technical Analysis
- Introduction to commodities market trading tools
- Risk management and hedging strategies
- Background context: risk management approaches
- Risk analysis
- Using derivatives and other instruments to manage risk
- Scenario analysis
- Optional example commodity market specific case studies that may be added (*available to Group Q&A and Private Zoom Coaching plans)
- The Energy Complex: Energy and Power markets
- Other hydrocarbon value chains
- Industrial metals
- Precious metals
DOWNLOAD the course information booklet for more detailed information about this training.
Who Should Attend
- Commodities traders
- Enterprises who rely on commodity inputs
- Procurement & Purchasing professionals
- Trade professionals
- Investment professionals
- Various optional modules are available for specific industries, for example:
- Food manufacturers
- Energy companies
In-Person Training Includes:
Limited Seats Only
Seats are limited per session so you get more personal attention.
You also receive a Course Reference Kit to take away for future reference. (Value of $200.00)
Get Answers (*Where applicable, excludes self-study courses)
All our trainings are built for interaction and for you to get the most out of the training for your job and situation.
Ask questions specific to your situation. It's the closest you can get to getting personalised coaching.
Certificate of Completion
After completing the training, you receive an Ethan Hathaway gold-embossed certificate of completion to mark your achievement.
Online Course Available
A self-study online version of this course is available.
Over 6+ hours of on-demand video lessons so you may watch at your own convenience.
Downloadable PDF notes & slide decks and resources for your future reference.
You have unlimited access to the course lessons.
Access the course with any Internet-enabled device. No software or special requirements needed.
Online Training Course
Online Course + Group Instructor Q&A
Includes online course + Group/Online Instructor Q&A sessions. Pay once
Unlimited access to course lessons
45-Day Q&A access
Online Course + Private Zoom Q&A Sessions
Includes online course + 4 Private Zoom Q&A sessions with Instructor. Pay once
Starts at USD 1297
Unlimited access to course lessons
4 scheduled Zoom Q&A sessions with Instructor
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What are the system requirements?
- A PC or a MAC computer (Compatible with an Windows or Mac O/S computer)
- Works on iPad and iPhone
- Web Browser Software such as the latest Firefox or Internet Explorer or Safari or Chrome
- Internet connection (It is highly recommended that you have a high-speed Internet connection such as broadband/DSL)
- Computer Speakers or headphones (for courses that include audio and video)
Q: How does the Group Q&A work?
A: You have 45 days to submit any questions you have regarding the course content to our Instructor.
The 45 days start from the day you enroll.
Questions are submitted online, collected and answered by the Instructor either via a written post or an audio/video recording that is posted in the course area.
Once the 45 days expire, you will no longer be able to submit new questions but you'll be able to see the posted Q&A's and the course lessons.
Q: Can I get a refund for the online course?
A: No, we do not issue refunds on online courses nor the certification exams.
If we find you have a valid reason to ask for credit, we are happy to offer you credit towards future products/services at our discretion.
Q: Are scholarships available?
A: Currently we do not offer any scholarships.
Under certain circumstances, we may offer a payment plan for eligible individuals.
Q: How does the Private Zoom Q&A sessions work?
A: Upon enrollment, you will be sent a form to select dates/times you'd like to schedule your Zoom Q&A sessions with the Instructor.
We will arrange an agreed upon time schedule for your Zoom sessions.
You have a total of 4 Zoom sessions, each session lasting a maximum of 45 minutes.
You must schedule/complete your 4 sessions within 90 days of enrollment.
Any unused sessions are forfeit if not used within the stated timeframe.
Due to timezone differences and high-demand of our Instructors, we cannot guarantee your preferred timeslots are available.
We do try to arrange sessions between you and the Instructor that works best for both parties.
Available for In-House Training
There are currently no scheduled public sessions for this training, however, it is available as an in-house training (in-person OR virtual).
Request an in-house training proposal below or learn more about In-House Training
Ethan Hathaway is accredited by the British Accreditation Council for Independent Further and Higher Education as an International Centre.